Developing is a process. There is no quick way around it either.
My youngest daughter recently achieved earning her black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. It took her about three years to do this. She started out as a white belt, and slowly, by consistently attending classes and practicing her new skills she got better and progressed in her rankings. It took her two years to get from white belt to red/black belt. Then, there was a lot of work that she needed to do to achieve her black belt, and that took a full year. There were many times that she didn’t feel like going and there were times that she considered giving up and quitting, but, she persevered, and did it.
If reaching goals and developing into our best selves was easy, everyone would be doing it. Being planned and having a strategy to follow will help us to get there more quickly and smoothly. Without a strategy, most of us never come close to who we could be.
If we have a goal that we want to achieve, it requires steps to reach it. Here are some things to consider for developing your own goal:
1. Define your goal – create a goal that is compelling and detailed
2. Consider the smaller steps you need to take to get there
3. Create a plan and schedule or routine you need to follow in order to take these steps
4. Consider the obstacles that you will face along the way and come up with solutions for facing them
5. Look for encouragement and support from friends, family or a coach to help you
6. Be consistent, even when the going gets tough
7. Decide on how you will celebrate when you’ve achieved your goal
I encourage you to think deeply about who you really want to be and what it would take to develop into your best self. Think through the steps I’ve listed for you above and begin the process of developing into your best self. It will be an exciting journey. I’d love to hear from you about how it is going. Leave a comment below to let me know what goals you’ve developed and how you are taking steps to achieve them.